Gaffs of Truth


from One Who Creates with Alphabets

22 December 2006

Technically old but usable

Anyone have any cool Mac software they'd like to point me to?

My 'newest' Mac before this was 11 years old. It is a Power Mac 6100/66 (the latter number meant it was a faster clock than the standard 60). It was the shizzle (am too that white) in 1995. It runs OS 7.6/8 (a hybrid mix of extensions) and Windows 3.11 for Workgroups (I have it networked with the rest of my dinosaurs).

My 'newest' pc was barely younger at 8 years. I have been using windows 98SE since it was brand-new. This particular laptop has a Pentium 3 processor (450 htz), 160 mg RAM (128 maxed plus 32 mg onboard) and a 40 gig harddrive.

Even with a PCMCIA ethernet card, I was convinced that my cablemodem was fast at 18k/a second. I just downloaded a 48 mg program in 10 seconds! I heart dual processors.

I have six desktops (four straight mac, one gateway and the above-mentioned hybrid) and 11 laptops. Yes, that second number is eleven. Plus I have one more I gave my brother for school.
Almost all of them are gateways (the brother has the VAIO) aside from my shiny new MacBook Pro which can run both Apple OS X and Windows XP (and Vista were I so inclined to upgrade) at the same time. I can also run Linux but it would run either/or for Windows though OS X would still run simultaneously.

This MacBook Pro so totally kicks ass. I know what it cost but I also know what it cost my mother. I am so incredibly grateful to be able to have it.

Eventually I will be able to transfer everything over this laptop and wipe the others. I will keep one or two (probably three, one for parts) so I can teach my nieces how to use them but the rest I intend to donate to the Girl's Club. Although if NaNoWriMo does their program of lending laptops to poor writers again, I might just donate them there. I dunno yet. They have a lot of work to be done on them first.

Does this mean my mother is still usable? I would hate to admit she might be uh, right on that point.

Help me. I just admitted my mother was right. In print. On the internet. Where it will live forever.

I think the shiny new toy has messed up my mind. Or rearranged the previous mess. I should get some sleep or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home