Gaffs of Truth


from One Who Creates with Alphabets

28 April 2006

Imitatable Internalizing

Aren't I cute?

I've got a new avatar. My old one was me posing like the late Princess Grace of Monaco. The new one is a cartooned version of me done up like Pippi Longstocking.

I suppose I could try an original pose, but leaning on books with blue and red pencils in my head just seemed a bit cliche'd and a tad corny. Just don't remind me of that statement when I use it for my author photo!


The other new is that I may have a short story coming out this fall in a known anthology that showcases new writers. It seems to be a legit thing and its previous releases are known and have been seen by my local booksellers (always a great plus as I'm in a small town in corn country).

I have a question for those who write horror, science fiction and fantasy, and/or mystery.
If you only write in one genre, do you read it or just others?
If you write in multiple genres, do you read in the categories you write in or are you concerned about "internalization" (to quote the latest one caught) from other authors?


I write and am hoping to be published in several genres: children's/YA, family saga, fantasy horror, mystery, and science fiction. I read all these genres as well as general/commercial fiction, plays, thriller, medical, suspense, techno/cyber and a host of non-fiction categories.

I'm not worried about "internalization" but I often abandon ideas when I discover they are too close to something already published, about to be published or generally well-known. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

On the other hand, when I was younger, I tried to follow Pablo Picasso's example. He did a chicken foot over and over until he could draw it fast, clean, exact and in his own developing style. I used to take favorite works and rewrite them as I pleased. I never published them anywhere, but I do have several boxes of notebooks of which some copyright lawyer could make a career.

Yes, I have influences, but I hope I've developed my own style and voice. Such that it would not be easily imitatable.

8 Comments:

At 29/4/06 06:35, Blogger Erik Ivan James added...

From what I have read here on your blog, I would say you definately have developed your own style and voice.

Cute picture!

 
At 29/4/06 07:59, Blogger T. M. Hunter added...

Good luck on the short story.

Myself, I read very few science fiction novels (most of the ones I've read are very dry and boring). Most of my reading (when I get time, sigh) is mystery.

I imagine it's inevitable that some of my work is influenced by those authors.

That said, I've never attempted to rewrite anyone else's work (even though everyone keeps comparing my pieces to Star Wars/Trek...sigh)

 
At 29/4/06 23:56, Blogger Alphabeter added...

Thanks so much Erik!

And Aston, as long as Wesley C West doesn't pop up in your story, I think you're in the clear!

 
At 30/4/06 07:42, Blogger T. M. Hunter added...

And as long as I never run into any folks serving on a ship called the Enterprise...

 
At 30/4/06 15:20, Anonymous Anonymous added...

I think I'm squarely pegged into the "literary genre," whatever that is.

But I read everything. My writing strays into different genres, but the one genre I have no desire to write is SF&F. So naturally I'm going to a writers' workshop in June hosted by a SF&F writer. Go figger.

 
At 30/4/06 15:59, Blogger Alphabeter added...

Aston, how about the Entrepreneur?

Jamie, you can learn a lot from unexpected places. I read 'manuals' on screenwriting, romance (aimed at the "you too can make money housewife" crowd), and freelance article writing. I've picked up several things that in three instances Miss Snark later confirmed--so they must be good! (to cheesily quote an infomercial)

If anything, you might learn what NOT to do!

 
At 6/5/06 19:16, Blogger T. M. Hunter added...

Aston, how about the Entrepreneur?

I think that may have been the working title for the newest ST movie...I think they already have it trademarked.

 
At 8/5/06 11:10, Blogger Mindy Tarquini added...

I love the new picture. And I'm Genre Neutral for a reason.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home